Sunday, August 21, 2016

"You Never Really Leave a Place You Love.

You take a part of it with you... and leave a part of you behind." ~Anonymous


When I first stepped off of the train and into Denali National Park and Preserve, my heart hammered in my chest. I’d had a successful and easy traveling experience, but now a million questions raced through my head. What would my supervisor be like? Where was I staying and eating? What would my job be like? Would I make friends?

Three months later: it’s safe to say that my summer in Denali was one of the best experiences of my life.

John and I on my last hike into the park, near the Eielson Visitor Center at Mile 66
Yes, the first two weeks were difficult and had their challenges. But when is moving to a new place not challenging? I’m often impatient with the process of settling in, growing comfortable, and making friends. But this summer, more so even than last year, has taught me the value of putting yourself outside of your comfort zone and the rewards that can come from taking risks.

I have never been so sad to leave a place in my entire life. From the amazing wildlife and scenery, to the incredible new friendships and magical memories (shout out to you, John), my experiences in Denali have helped me to grow and have changed my life forever.

At the Murie Science and Learning Center, I helped convert over 20 science research articles from pdf’s into the more accessible Science Summary webpages, photographed multiple field trips and research adventures throughout the park, and designed an exhibit (that can now be found online!) connecting a quilt found in the MSLC to climate change in Denali. I truly feel that the work I have done for the MSLC this summer will make an impact on visitors today and in future years.

A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to have one of my best friends from high school come to visit! Federica arrived on August 4th, and we spent her week here camping at Wonder Lake (when the mountain actually came out in full view!), hiking and exploring the frontcountry, and hanging out in the mountains. Thank you for coming to visit me, Federica! You mean the world to me and I look forward to future adventures around the world.

Denali stands clear and proud from Wonder Lake campground!
My first time viewing the mountain up close.



Just a few of the things I will miss about Denali:
  1. The endless expanses of untouched wilderness and intact ecosystems
  2. The families I became a part of, both in and outside of work
  3. Hiking near my house at 11 pm because the sun is still setting
  4. Weather cool enough for long sleeves and pants
  5. Lucor, the beautiful sled dog that I was lucky enough to walk with for the summer
  6. The beautiful silence of being settled in the mountains, miles away from another person
Thank you to everyone who has shown me support, sent me letters, or read my stories from afar. It means the world to me that you all care enough about me to follow my adventures, and I can’t wait to see a lot of you in person again soon.


Denali, I know that I will return someday to retrieve the piece of my heart that I’ve left behind. But for now, it’s on to other adventures. Senior year at Gustavus, here I come!

Until next time,

Lindsey

P.S. I was lucky enough to hold and play with Lucor's puppies at the kennels! Check them out live using the Denali Kennels Puppy Cam. Because who doesn't want to wrap up their final blog post with puppies?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great summer! And I agree, who doesn't love ending a post with puppies. :-) I am sure it's hard to leave such a beautiful place, but know that there are people here looking forward to seeing you too!

    ReplyDelete